Monday, January 21, 2008

PROJECTS FOR 2007

Several of my favorite bloggers have recently posted their top projects for 2007. I believe Manuela started the ball rolling in her January 10 post and then Linda joined in on January 12, Angela on the 13th, Cindy on 1/15 and the Tracy on the 16th. All these great posts got me to thinking...."hmmm, what did I do last year?" Certainly not the number or scope of their projects, but I must have done something ( before I found blogging). So, I took a couple of pictures of the guest room. When I started this room was blue walls and old carpet. It had been the home to several boys over the years as my boys tended to play Musical Chairs with rooms as one moved out. Needless to say it was a bit of a mess. So walls were painted BenMoore Weston Flax, a light, but creamy yellow and to be fair this was done in November 2006 in a bit of a hurry since I had a friend coming to stay. However, the new hardwood floor went in in January 2007. Then I painted the old brass/brassy bed with metallic bronze paint. Quite a change!

Please note that the wall color is approximately the background color of my blog template, but for some reason it comes out either washed out or too bright. Just use your vivid imaginations, OK?

I also had one of those really ugly, handhewn look dark pine dressers that all bachelors feel the need to own or did in the 80s. I painted it several shades of blue, some leftover from the trial and error of the front door, and finally just decided to leave well enough alone. Then I sanded/distressed and finished with a dark BriWax. I replaced the "antique brass" hardware with some bronze knobs and pulls. I don't love the color, but it is sure an improvement from the pine. I still need to paint the new closet doors and touch up some trim...yeah, yeah I will get to it sometime soon, I promise!


No, the walls are not that yellow and yes, that router thingey is still on the floor near the dresser. I am told it will be able to go somewhere else, but I don't think it will happen 'til I get those doors and trim done! Also, I have an idea for over the bed that involves an empty frame and some blue and white plates.

Okay, that's it for my TWO projects. Can you handle my ambition? We also did this room a/k/a the study, but it is a mess because of an unknown leak in the bathroom. Long, unhappy story!! But we put in hardwood, painted, installed window treatments, bought cheapie bookcases and it looked good for a while. Maybe some day I will be able to take pictures.

Later,
Janet

10 comments:

  1. That's a great little spruce up, Janet. I love the way the metal on the bed frame turned out. I bet you are loving the wall color now. You will be able to do a lot with it.
    Hugs,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say thanks for mentioning the Packers. I'm sorry they lost but I do like Eli Manning on the NY team. I know you like your New England.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way the bed turned out! What a great idea!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isnt it wierd how paint never photographs correctly? I think your projects look great, especially the painted dresser. I am such a sucker for painted furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I take a picture with the flash on the paint always looks different! You had some great projects! I love how the dresser looks! The bed frame looks great too!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tackled painting furniture, but it is something I would love to learn how to do. Your dresser looks wonderful. And the bed looks equally as good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love yellow and with the blue chest, I am sure it's a killer room. You did good!
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the blue looks great--any project is a testamnet to your imagination! The headboard looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it all looks pretty amazing.
    That bed is wonderful! I love how it turned out. Your ambition has left me winded...I so want to paint some furniture but it scares the pieces outta me. Now I am inspired and THAT scares me.
    Anyway, I love the way it looks. You have a lot of talent Janet!

    Love and hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I love the bed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave me a comment if you have enjoyed my blog. I look forward to "chatting" with you.

Thanks,
Janet