Monday, February 25, 2008

DINNER TONIGHT

photo by Bob

Simple and oh so healthy Fish Stew made in 30 minutes or less. This is my cheap and easy take on a classic Bouillebasse. Add whatever fish or other ingredients you want or have on hand. You can't really mess this up and it is yummy and you feel so virtuous after dinner you can even have another glass of wine;)

2 14 oz cans chicken broth
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 medium bulb fennel (anise), chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 carrot, julienned
1/8 t. red pepper flakes or to taste
black pepper
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup minced flat leaf parsley
zest from one orange
1 lb. mild white fish (I used Pollock, it's cheap)
Garlic toasts

In a large pot ( dutch oven) combine broth, tomatoes, fennel, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add carrot, simmer for another5 minutes. Add orange zest. Cut fish in large chunks. Place on top of "stew". Cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Sprinkle parsley on top. Place garlic toasts in soup bowls, ladle stew on top, garnish with fennel fronds. Serve with a nice green salad and some more garlic toast and of course some wine ( I prefer a nice red to hold its own with the garlic and fennel) ;)

Later,
Janet

9 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and the dishes are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet, I have been looking for a fish stew recipe and this sounds really good! I will be trying this:>) Your soup plates are so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like the perfect easy fish dish to me - but I'll change the chicken broth to veggie stock as I don't eat any type of meat/poultry.
    Thanks for sharing Janet, I really want to try it soon.

    Gorgeous bowl and serviette!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That beautiful photo of that beautiful plate and beautiful meal sort of took the oomph out of my yogurt and granola tonight. :)
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fish and this dish looks so delicious! I will have to make this one for sure!

    Pretty presentation, too! Hey, I just thought of you when I read Jennifer's post at The Old Painted Cottage. Have you seen it? If not, toodle over and check it out. I will be doing a post on a fav house here soon.

    xo
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Janet...does that look just delicious! Good thing I just had dinner...otherwise I'd be heading on over to your place for some fish stew. Thanks for stopping in to see me today.
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..this looks delish Janet...yummo!!
    Thanks for the chuckle on my blog about my laugh....Come by again soon!
    xxxooo Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made a fish stew. Sounds tasty. I made chicken tortellini soup tonight. Not much fresh fish here in the midwest. LOL

    Hug,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this looks SO good and your dish-ware is glorious!! May I come for dinner now??

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave me a comment if you have enjoyed my blog. I look forward to "chatting" with you.

Thanks,
Janet