Tuesday, February 19, 2008

TOMBSTONE

WARNING: I have decided to let my true sarcastic, house snob personality shine through here, so if you live in Tombstone or in a home like one of these you may want to stop reading now because this is not going to be pretty!!

Tombstone Arizona whose motto is "Tombstone: The Town Too Tough to Die" should change its motto to Tombstone: The Town Too Tacky to Die. It is truly a historic town; the site of the Shootout at the OK Corral, Boothill Cemetery and many other places of interest to those who study the history of the West or those who watched Westerns back in the 50s and 60s. The whole town is a National Historic Park and many of the original buildings remain but you have to pay to enter most everything except the gift shops. There are "gunfights" at least once an hour and guys dressed up like Marshals that feel the need to talk to you and try to sell you admission to something. We took a trolley tour and saw the sights of many shootings and shootouts and the buildings where more shootings took place and then we went to the cemetery to see where the "victims" of said shootouts ended up. While Bob paid to go into the courthouse I decided to check out some of the residences. These are houses with actual people living in them, some are historical landmarks and some are not, but I have never seen such a lack of pride ...ever. These pictures do not do them justice...or would that be injustice??
This was probably the cutest house in town and the best maintained.

This house does not look nearly this good. Look closely at the left corner of the porch and see that tattered blind hanging. There were faded plastic ivy garlands hanging around the door and a gaudy plastic wreath. Can't afford a tasteful wreath, leave the door bare!
This house is for sale. The asking price is $205,000; I looked on Realtor.com but there are no additional pictures for your viewing pleasure. Very small lot with very unattractive , rundown homes on either side.
This lovely abode is across the street. I am not sure what that appendage is on the right, but it is partially separated from the "Main house".

A closer view of the "landscaping". Who knew Elvis was from Tombstone?? He may still be alive and trying to find his way out of that yard. I just now realized that there is a toilet in the yard (click to enlarge). Could this be part of the "Elvis Theme"?

Each of these houses is within sight of the beautifully maintained Courthouse. What do ya think??

On a cheerier note ...when I went outside to get the mail there were about 40 robins in my yard. First ones I have seen this year and I am hoping they are a good omen!!

Later,
Janet

PS. The cheeseburger and onion rings at Six Gun City were really delicious.

20 comments:

  1. hysterical , laughing out loud in the huge lobby i call work...loved your "warning" about housing in Tombstone ...that's the Janet i know and love !!!

    Your follow Plainville resident, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks for giving me my laugh of the day, Janet. Glad you're back! -Julia :-)

    (aka "Hooked on Houses")

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, too bad a town like TOMBSTONE isn't better looking. Wonder what happened?
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was funny, glad you are back to humor us!

    I could use a cheeseburger and onion rings right now.

    Happy day,

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet,

    I say this all the time - you don't need money to keep a house clean, period.
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. **Shhhh!**
    You are invited to a SURPRISE BLOGGY BIRTHDAY PARTY for kari tomorrow, Wednesday, Feb 20.
    She is turning 40!!!

    Stop by the party on Wednesday to mingle a bit, say hi to the birthday girl, enjoy a bite of cake, and check out the party favor giveaway!

    blessings,
    kijsa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janet! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I see we are both Susie Q fanatics! And I see that you are fun as well. I hope to join you all in the fall. Now ... which sweater to bring?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! Should it be TOILETSTONE??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, your post took me back to 1975. That was the last time that I visited Tombstone. I see that things haven't changed much.

    I think that the area is actually quite depressed. There's not a whole lot of business or industry going on. So much more could be done to complement the tourist attraction that Tombstone is...a few family restaurants would be nice...reasonable prices...a few nice motels...some gift shops that aren't a rip-off. I could go on and on...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guess those homes weren't worth peeping in the windows, huh? He he!
    What do you want on your tombstone?
    Hugs,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! What a royal mess! I agree, where is their pride? It doesn't take money to be neat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You crack me up you know...but how did you know it was my life long dream to live in TOMBSTONE? Truly...and thank you for providing me with the list of homes. I especially like the one with the toilet in the yard. One never knows when the urge to go will strike. I could be outside gardening...

    So, let's get this right...you do NOT like faded fake ivy on the house? Or faded plastic, not in nature colored wreaths?
    Aw...but that is what I was going to send to you...dang. Now what do I do...

    Glad you are back. I missed you!

    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really are hilarious Janet - thanks for the giggles. I've been there and thought it was miserable in the heat of the Summer. Old Tucson was OK when the kids were small - couldn't do it now though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They need to rename the town Tackytown! This place qualifies for an "Extreme Town Makeover" show....
    I'll be posting my pics of Savannah and Charleston in a week or so...don't think I have to worry about anything like the Tombstone houses on that tour!

    Later - Judy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is sad and funny all at the same time. It makes me so sad to see a town that do not care for or that pride in its heritage. My hubby's hometown in Alabama is like that....gorgeous old Victorian's in disrepair, tacky yards, and sitting vacant. It is funny though to think someone would actually show off a yard that looks that hideous in such a prominant place! I hope that at least the toilet was clean!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first thing I noticed was the toilet! Thank goodness we don't have a house like that close to me. What a mess! Welcome back!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  17. For some reason the first little sweet Victorian house with the small veranda and picket fence reminds me of "The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky." :)
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know, I bet the owners of that one home were planning to turn that toilet into a fabulous planter! It could be the next big thing! Er, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's very sad I think but I laughed at your take on it and I agree about what one person said. You don't have to be rich to take care and pride in your home. There's one street out near where I live with sweet little homes on it but the owners don't take care of them. Millions of toys all over the yards, falling down fences, junky cars...yuk!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave me a comment if you have enjoyed my blog. I look forward to "chatting" with you.

Thanks,
Janet