Tuesday, February 5, 2008

SELF INDULGENCE


Yesterday was a good day. The first speaker at the class was the Chief Economist for the National Association of Realtors. In one of my past lives I must have been an economist because I am fascinated by this subject matter. He was excellent. Then we had a panel of mortgage bankers and an attorney. They were good, but not outstanding. Then the last hour was an agent who speaks on financing at various conventions etc. He was slightly amusing, but the info was something that we all learned many years ago when we started real estate and possibly we needed a reminder on how to make sure your clients are adequately pre-approved for a mortgage. We didn't need to hear about it for an hour.

I quickly got myself to Cal. Pizza Kitchen where I was too hungry to adequately peruse the menu. Ordered the Thai Chicken Pizza and then remembered how much I love the California Club. Something about a pizza with bacon, tomato, lettuce tossed with mayonnaise and then chicken and avocado that is really tasty!! Anyway, I had my Thai pizza, very spicy, but good and made my way to Homegoods. It is a huge store, especially compared to "our" Homegoods here in town which is very small and leaves you craving a bigger store. I looked at everything and bought nothing. My friends will tell you that I love to shop, but I usually don't buy anything. Not only am I frugal, not in a position to spend on unnecessary items at this time, but I also am trying not to accumulate more "stuff". Trader Joe's was another story. I bought my favorite BayBlend coffee, 4 bunches of daffodils and 10 bottles of wine. We have strange liquor licensing in Massachusetts and you can't buy wine in grocery stores in most instances. I love the wine pricing at Joe's so I buy a couple of bottles of several different varieties or vineyards. I always intend to keep track of any really nice wines I find, but never remember to. That's what happens when you drink them, right?

Today was Primary Day here, so I went and voted in the pouring rain. I am becoming more of a political animal as I age, which isn't saying too much. I was never very interested in the mechanics, but find it more interesting now, especially since this is the first time that the candidates are "different" from what has become the "norm". Bob and I are polar opposites so there is never a political discussion here. We agree to disagree and rarely even mention the topic. I will probably watch a lot of the news on the returns tonight and he will watch the Military Channel.

Later,
Janet

11 comments:

  1. the military channel?? LOL. voting was invigorating, even if the results won't be.( a little pessimistic, i know) love the dafs! enjoy the vino and keep posting!jkj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find it so strange when I go to a state where you can pick out a wine or some beer with your groceries. In PA, we have "State" stores for wine and liquor and "distributors" for beer and malt liquor beverages. My hubby and I chuckle like school kids doing something naughty when we are in Maine and can go pick up snacks and a six pack at the WalMart. Aren't we silly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you say on my blog that you went to Providence? RI? Are you close enough in MA that you can go there alot? Do you sell property there too or just MA. Just curious, because my sister lives in RI and is a Realtor....
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your meeting sounded like it was a good one. I love to go shopping so that I can memorize what I see. Then when I need a gift it is effortless, I just return to one of those fun stores. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not enjoy those RE meetings..I figure if I have a question, I'll get the answer. I just don't like to listen to stuff that doesn't have anything to do with what I am doing. Kind of like studying Earth Science in high school...why???

    I was just in Marshall's yesterday and could have cleaned out an entire Spring/St. Patrick's Day/Easter aisle!! Bird's nests, pastel eggs, bunnies, green glittered shamrocks...but, I am one of those "if I walk around with it long enough, I'll talk myself right out of it" people. And I did. Maybe I'll have to spend some Yard Sale money on that cute stuff...

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great day! Pizza and Homegoods, yummy goodness all around!

    xo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you voted. I seem to be more interested in politics as I get older as well.
    Hugs,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name of your blog! And I have to admit I'm a total "house peeper" myself. The husband and I enjoy taking our walks around the neighborhood just as it's getting dark and no one has closed their curtains yet. ;-)

    Thanks for stopping by my Hooked on Houses blog today. Sounds like you'll fit right in with the rest of us real estate junkies over there! -Julia K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you sounds like me at Home Goods...I pile my cart mile high...and then walk out with one thing or nothing! I can't wait to have a Trader Joe's by me...they say it's coming but not soon enough I'm afraid. Thanks for stopping to see me and your sweet comments.
    Hugs,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your daffodils, Janet. I'd love to share your wine also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet, I just stopped by with an invite...

    You are invited to a World-Wide Giveaway. How nice...just in time for Valentine’s Day. Stop by my post today and leave a comment to enter mine, and follow the yellow brick road to the links to skatey-eight bloggers from around the world who are participating. Have a lovely day. Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Please leave me a comment if you have enjoyed my blog. I look forward to "chatting" with you.

Thanks,
Janet